Saturday, September 13, 2008

Janis Ian, One Woman Show Coming to Broadway!

Thanks Dar..for taking this picture.


Well, it should be true for Janis Ian. (my cell phone picture of "Jan" and I). **see update at bottom of post.

Her show tonight at The Palms in Winters, CA was much more than a concert, and the place is so intimate.


She's written an autobiography (Society's Child) and she intertwined her songs with her stories. I was mesmerized..and so was Dave. It was a total spiritual experience...with laughter, tears, and pure joy! That gal can play the guitar and she still sings like she did at 17. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiJaZNx1U8. Gretchen Peters, who is a prolific and famous songwriter, opened the show..but it wasn't planned. She is playing at The Palms next Thursday. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2x12ureg6k. I loved the fact that there were no drums. Janis needs to do an album where she just plays the guitar...like she did last night. Maybe she has?

I am not religious...but I came away feeling like I'd just gone to church. The kind of "world church" I wish was out there. Now hear me, Janis didn't offer a religious message...but it was a life-changing one. It was so intense at times... that I had to hold myself into my front-row seat for fear of running down the hall and into the bathroom..where nobody would see me cry.

I will write more tomorrow...but if you can, go see her at Yoshi's in San Francisco. It's on her tour. Go with someone who knows you and cares about you. Not kidding. I am not a Janis Ian freak..but have always appreciated her music and lyrics.

I even stole a kiss on her cheek. She didn't seem to mind. More later............................I'll have pictures. (If I can figure out how to get them off of my cell phone. Also, a woman named Dar took pics and my email address and promised to send them to me. Janis knew her by name....so Dar is either a groupie or an aquaintance). See her website for tour info. She is traveling around in a van...btw. http://www.janisian.com/


**Check out http://www.youtube.com/ and search justdar. She has posted videos of Janis from Friday night. My favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKBUvJcSaWc . right before she began singing that "cover song", she spoke about how in the past..the record industry always wanted her to sing other peoples songs. also..earlier in the evening she spoke about how, at 15, she wanted to be famous...like a Beatle.


4 comments:

Dale said...

Sounds like an awesome experience. I only know a few of her songs but maybe I should know more.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Wow! I am SO jealous. She is really, really short. But, man, I loved that song At 17. My anthem when I was angsty and 14.

Mike S said...

Add me to the 'jealous' list! Also, will be writing Jeremy this week. Got delayed in most things by eye/vision problems.

Unknown said...

Mike, Jer said he wrote to you. He appreciated your first note...he called me to find out if I knew a guy from Maine! :)

Thanks alot.