Sunday, September 07, 2008

Braised Beef....on the cheap

Braised beef, carrots, celery, kale, onions, and potatoes


My favorite part? Carrots and kale. No kidding.
Raley's had London Broil on sale for $2.97 per lb. For $7.50 we got the "roast". I figured the other ingredients for the dish cost about $4.00. So, we both had a fabulous dinner for about $11.50. I still have enough to make a great beef/veggie soup with orzo. I can give that to my in-laws. So, I feed 4 for that much.
With London Broil, be sure to braise for at least 3 hours...it was fork tender and a breeze to make a "one pot meal" of. I seared both sides of the beef first..in a dutch oven. I added some salt and pepper before that..and then some beef stock, onions, and celery. I waited until the last 30 minutes to add the other ingredients...and some chopped garlic...oh, and a can of whole, peeled tomatoes and a dash of apple cider.

2 comments:

Eileen and Karen said...

yum..that sounds good and looks great. I love pot roast and meat prepared like that.

Mike S said...

SWMBO & her Sis have been after me for weeks now to cook my similar, but not as pretty, dish. Looks great!!